Monday, May 10, 2010

Selamat Hari Mama

Being the youngest child in the family is not easy. Most people will say you are the spoil-brat. Your wish will be granted in a second etc. But least will say that your life is going to be miserable and hard. Yes, it is hard to be the last one at least for me. Even though I am not really the youngest child technically as I had a little brother. He died of tragic motorcycle accident way back in year 2000. That was a grieving year especially for my mother. I remember when she was bursting into tears the night of the tragedy. I never seen she cried so hard the way she did that night. She lost her precious diamond that would never be found again.

And now me being the the last one. Not that I loath the hierarchy tier but the fact that I have to be the youngest one as a result of loosing my brother is too disturbing. I loved being the second youngest and I loved to have my little brother around because I know my mother's love is the sky. Limitless and endless. But in the end, who am I to tell The Almighty not to take my little brother away...

So, as this year Mother's Day I have some stories to tell about my mother. It is true when people say what comes out from the mother's mouth are genuine wish (doa). I find it totally unfeigned. When I was a small kid I was a bit petit in size as relatively compared to my elder sister. There were three of us in the house when everybody went to work. My elder sister, myself and my little brother. My eldest brother was not in the picture then as he was grown up and attended boarding school. My sister was well known of her strong head and fierce. Yes, fierce is the word. And her favorite word back then was 'bully'. As the eldest in the house she self-appointed herself as a chief of both of us. We were given house chores such as washing dishes and hang the wet clothes and even go to the market to buy her favorite asam. As a result of not obeying her command, she sometimes would do everything to make us regret for being disobedient. She would locked us outside just to make sure her asam was there at that particular time. We, being a small kid and scared the most that we could do was cry our lung out. And when my mother back from work, she would say this consoling words "Don't worry Didi (after my nickname), your time will come when you will be more superior than your sister and have a better job and she will be embarrassed for what she did to you"
And yes, my mother's spell worked as what I become today. I still love my sister though.

There was another story involving my late father and my mother. When I had my UPSR result and it was quite a good one I must say, my mother decided that I go to the religious boarding school in Seremban. My father was quite skeptical about this whole idea of sending me to the religious school thinking that I would end up being an ustaz. And after a long discussion before dinner and had dinner and post-dinner discussion again my mother reached her temper and put her feet down and said "I'll ensure that Didi won't become an ustaz after he finished his school!"
And so it was, I am not destined to become an ustaz but in-stead being a dentist. Tongue in the cheek I once asked my mother about why was she specifically wishing me to not being an ustaz, while she better of wishing that I would become an ustaz and at the same time being a dentist. And she replied, "Oh, I was too furious to your father back then and all I imagined was that you become a dentist!"

Oh, my jaw dropped. My mother had this me as a dentist imagination since I was still standard 6!

So, this is me wishing all mothers in the world Happy Mother's Day especially to my mama Hamimah Muda mother of myself, my mother in-law Che Husna Azhari mother of my wife and my wife Ilham Wan Mokhtar mother of my son.

You are the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends who rejoice with us deserts us; when trouble thickens around us; still will she cling to us; and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the cloud of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts.

1 comment: