Saturday, June 26, 2010

Checklists to Check-out Part II

Most of the time that I remember in vivid while in Sabah is the time when I spent with the Borneo squad. Oh, how I missed the good old days. I still recall the time when the founding member of the Borneo squad commencing their first baby step to the big land of Borneo. Before I forget, the founding member of the Borneo squad are the trio of Ilham, Azmi (Jimok) and me. The duo - Fairuz (Apai) and Ema was not in the picture then yet as their date of report duty was a month away from us, their journey which I'll tell later.

So, there we were, the trio at the LCCT all prepared for the departure. The family members and close related personnel were all there giving their last farewell to the trio. There were moments that I thought 'are we going for Hajj or Iraqi's war or something?'. Some were sinking into tears if not sobbing in silent. And for the first time the families of the trio were united under one roof. If only there were a family day contest at that particular time in LCCT, I think Jimok's family would easily took home the champs as he brought a battalion with him to the airport.

Being a wet-behind-the-ear traveler cum working adult, I couldn't help myself to bring a larger than life luggage. As much as I hate to admit it, the thing that brings out the worse in me is when it comes to pack stuffs. I just simply couldn't pick any clothes or trousers or under garments to pack and I would end up packing the whole things. It was kind of embarrassing when seeing people who travel so lightly as if they have nothing to pack and nothing to worry about. And with that thought I was all engulfed with the apprehension of winning the biggest luggage contest. But, surprisingly, bear in mind that I was totally relieved when seeing Ilham's and Jimok's luggage was nothing less than my luggage size. At last, I was not alone!

As we approached the most scornful local airlines in history of aviation, Air Asia counter, I prayed that our luggage won't be too over limit. Yes, I expected some over limit in my calculation, perhaps it would go around RM 50 or so. No, I was dead wrong thinking that Air Asia would be generous to us. Alas. There went my one week locum money as the curses to Tony Fernandez continued to mount up.

                                                     Kota Kinabalu

I was nearly blind upon disembarkation from the belly of the plane. The unusual brightness of the sun in this Borneo land was killing. The heat was so piercing I had to squint my eyes. But, the blinding process quickly reverted when I saw a magnificent view of the Tanjung Aru stretch beach. The blue green multi-tonous South China Sea seemed as if there was an enormous flat crystal spreading the entire view. And that was the moment I think I had a head over heels with Kota Kinabalu.

House hunting was another significant chapter for the Borneo squad sojourn. Every pages of Daily Express and Borneo Post would have at least a circle or a tick or a fancy bold with colourful highlighter. All for the sake of finding two decent houses and most importantly the cheapest in the market. One for Jimok and I, and one for Ilham. But, the luck was not on us and after spending some times running and chasing after house agents we could only found one decent apartment. And it was at the upper most floor of four tiers apartment. No lifts whatsoever. For the record, most apartments or condominiums in Sabah are not furbished with lifts and if one happen to have the eyes of observant one will see that there are not much of sky-scrapping apartments or condos in Kota Kinabalu let alone the entire Sabah. The policy I learned later in life proven to be very beneficial to keep in shape.

So, before finding a new house for Ilham, she had to be a squatter at one of senior's house and we had to bear commuted to work en-route to pick her up. Utilizing Mazharul as a supir in his car, we survived the first one week. But then, an expected event changed the whole plan. Mazharul was reassigned to Likas Hospital and every morning he had to leave his house early to get in time and not to get caught in the congested traffic. And we as regular  hitchhikers were forced to get up early in the morning as he routinely would dropped us at Luyang Clinic on his way to Likas. Thinking that the arrival of 45 minutes before 8 was not an option, we had to find solution. We had to find a car!

                                              A New Car

By unanimous decision of three, we went to Perodua retail center in Api-Api. And after a long deliberation of whether to buy a new model or a second hand car, we came into solution, we agreed to take home a brand new Myvi. But then, there was a glitch. Who is going to pay for the car down payment?

Everybody literally was broken. Jimok and I had already chipped in to pay for the 2 +1 advanced house rent. So, technically we both broke. Ilham as she relied solely on her not very much pocket money couldn't make it to the rescue. And suddenly as in possessed by ghost embodiment, Jimok and Ilham gave me a glance. A dazzling glance that denoted an evil thought.

"I thought you still have some saving from the locum?" Ilham uttered sheepishly, tongue in the cheek.
"Yes, I still have some of it" I retorted exhaling deeply.

The truth was, I also thought the same thing. All this while I always dreamed to have a car of my own. Since I had some saving and enough to pay for the down payment why didn't I do so. So, there it was, I took home a brand new Myvi for which had become an official transport for us three. The happiest purchasing I had ever done!

                                                 The Duo 

A month later came the duo, Apai and Ema and the rest of the UKM clan. I was hardly knew both of them as they hailed from the other side of the town. I first met them also at the sacred LCCT. Pushing the big fat luggage, made me smiling reflected my time a month back. Apai was a loquacious guy. Ema on the other hand managed to double it. She could talk like nobody business and still had more. But she seemed to talk around the people that she knew. Shy, perhaps. And knowing her now, she is totally the capsize of the 'shy'!

There were a lot to tell about this duo and the rest of the story but I find a drainage in my mind now. Perhaps, some other time will do me some good to write.

So long for now from Ilham and me ~

No comments:

Post a Comment