Monday, June 14, 2010

Glee and Its 'Uglee' Side


Glee is undeniably a phenomenon in TV now. Everybody watches this musical series of colourful youngsters. From the beauty queen cheerleader to the bubbly gay chap to the delinquent Trojan hair-cut lad, all are the ingredients in this spicy, exaggerated high school drama.

If anybody asks me of whether I'm a fan of this series, I would say no. I'm not a fan but literally I would watch this series whenever possible. I won't put on reminder to remind me of when Glee will be aired or something. In fact, the reason why I watch this drama is primarily because I have to find another alternative to all medical-related series in TV. Literally, I've been sick to death watching these kind of series such as Grey's Anatomy, House, Trauma, Scrubs and the latest the bold and not too beautiful bunch of nurses in Mercy.
I seriously need a break. The last thing that I need to see on TV is another work and sick people. This may sound snobbish and uncouth but if anybody is in my shoes they probably understand of how my ground would feel like. Furthermore, the emerging of these handful series are nothing but to disseminate false dream within students and parents thinking that working as doctors can be as glamorous as Dr Derek Shepherd and Dr Gregory House as in Grey's Anatomy and House series respectively.

By telling this it doesn't mean that I have converted and become a number 1 fan of Glee. No! As I made myself clear of where I stand in the first paragraph, I like to give some opinion regarding how far Glee fanaticism has taken its toll on Malaysian viewer. Recently, I've seen a commercial in TV about a bunch of Glee's fan impersonating characters of the show to the extent of having a contest to pick the best Malaysian Glee's impersonator. Surprisingly, some of the contestants are coming from walk of girls in veils and a large number of young kids at the age of 5 to 6 years old.
What a shock!

Suddenly it raises several questions in my mind that firstly, is sense of shame has faded from our women makes them shamelessly dancing like crazy only to prove how precocious they are. And secondly, what on earth are those parents taught their kids in home. Are they seriously encouraged their kids to dance and sing to the point of it's okay of being fanatic to these kind of show. It shocks me to also see some public figures giving an all-out support to their children doing the lustful Beyonce's signature buttocks dance.
What are they thinking?!

To me it's not a fault to watch these light shows as long as one be able to draw a boundary between reality and fantasy. Parents should also monitor their children and discourage them to be such a fanatic on anything they see on TV. Such an unfortunate thing when at the end of the day you realize your children singing a flawless note of Glee's song but demoting in blank to recite Al-Quran!

No comments:

Post a Comment