Friday, June 18, 2010

Hey people, I'm on air!

This morning I woke up with a massive stone on my head. To get up from the bed was like pulling a thousand chariots. Listlessness in the air. I had a Monday blues. Only this time it was not Monday but Friday, instead. As the mixed feeling of going to work or staying home took on the battle in my head, I heard my wife muttered about something. Sleepy headed, I started to grumble.

"Did you say something just now?" I asked, rubbing my eyes.
"Yes dear. I think, you've got a radio talk today!" she retorted making her way out of the room to make a breakfast toast.

Oh, how on earth I could forget this. I have prepared everything for the talk. The questions, the answers, the shirt and the necktie (yeah, as if there would be any audience to watch the talk. It's a radio talk for god's sake!) were all checked the night before. I just simply should have not forget about this but I did. Alas, lately my memory didn't served me very well.

In a flash I jumped out of the bed forcing myself to go to the bathroom. As I experiencing the quickest shower in my life, I couldn't stop thinking of how would the talk be like.Would the deejay understands me, or would I talk through the ear phone or microphone. I was lost!

Then, there it was. I was standing in front of the Sandakan FM office chaperoned by Sister Latifah (sister denotes a rank to act as a chief of nurses). I was invited to sit at the waiting lounge furbished by an old TV and a faded sofa set. Neither tea nor refreshments were served made me bored to death. So, me being genius, I went forth to switch TV channel as the TV displayed boring commercials of the TV 1. Hoping to get some updates on the FIFA world cup of ESPN or Star Sports turned bitter when all buttons displayed only RTM-related channels.
Suddenly, I realized that this was RTM office after all, therefore it owned by government. Of course, the TV would only showed the RTM channel. Silly me!
As I tapped my forehead in disappointment I could imagined how these people would laugh at me, a fool with TV, as I pretty sure my action has been caught by the surveillance camera somewhere hidden in the room.

The talk went surprisingly well. I talked about Halitosis and stuff to fulfill the radio's weekly health program slot. The deejay seemed fun but freaking bubbly. No blaming here, it's part of occupational hazard I guess. In the end of the day I think doing this talk is rather joyful and I kind of like it. I'm a talker in nature so the talking was not very much intimidating to me. So, there it was, a glamorous closure for my service in Sandakan and for Sabah generally.

What's next in my plan. TV talk, perhaps?


No comments:

Post a Comment