Friday, June 4, 2010

Farewell and Be Well..

Last couple of weeks we had a farewell ceremony in KP Sandakan. The theme was especially to celebrate the departure of one of KP Sandakan's dental officer, Dr Elizabeth to Bintulu, Sarawak. She has been in Sandakan for quite some times, along the way she had helped us a lot during our commencement as district dental officer almost a year back.

Thinking that this ceremony would be the last for us to meet with Sandakan's dental personnel we decided to buy a pair of chocolates cakes from the only decent cake house in town, Secret Recipe. So, I assigned one of the DSA (dental surgery assistant) to slice the cakes according to the number of people attended. Satisfied with the reply and enthusiasm showed by the DSA, I went to front row allocated for the officers to proceed with the ceremony's itinerary.

After all the prayers, the anthems and the pledge carried out we were ready to listen to our boss, the Sandakan's in-charge dental officer to deliver his speech. As usual he begun his speech addressing the wrong person with the wrong name. Typical of him but it was fun and hilarious. He is a nice and approachable guy. Prior to the ceremony he asked us
"So, when you guys are leaving to UKM?"
"Not UKM boss, it's UiTM!" I retorted.
"Oh, really? I thought you are going to UKM" he nodded (for the record we were already told him about this for almost hundreds time).
So, I thought by this time he would get it right but only to discover how forgetful he was. Yes, he asked us again the exact same question during the feast. Since he was the boss I had to refrain myself from showing my annoyance and retorted the same answer as in broken record.
What a special guy he was!

After the speech I was approached by our second boss, the one who in-charge of the clinic. She revealed to us that the farewell ceremony was also to celebrate both of us. That didn't surprise me at all. For the record, somehow I knew all about this farewell thing. Thanks to my wife's assistant who also happened to be a gossip lover. Plus, the gifts at the front were too much to be given to only one person.

The highlight of the day was each of the celebrated had to plant plants as a symbol of remembrance. The agricultural activity took place at the small soil spot in front of the clinic under the hot flaming sun. The spot called Nostalgic Park blazingly officiated by the big boss.



So, after the eventful agriculture it was time to gobble up. The foods were rather a bit superficial to me. The noodles were slightly below the par and my eyes were looking for the cakes that we bought. Not that I wanted to take back what I gave but it was more like appetizer to eat something sweet before hand. Couldn't spot any, so I thought perhaps the cakes had an overwhelming fans out there, I tried the not so good-looking if not good-tasting of the small-sliced cakes. It took me by surprise that the taste of the cake was so darn good as if it came from the Secret Recipe. To reward my curiosity I asked one of my colleague of where was the taste-good cake came from.
"Yus, this is the cake that you bought. The Secret Recipe one!"
I was stunt. How a beautiful cake could be turn into something beyond recognizable. Yes, I was asking to cut the cakes according to the number of people attended but never occurred to me that they would ruin the texture and aestheticism of the cake. Too bad!  
Perhaps I should give more detail on how to handle such a beautiful entity.
Suddenly it reminded me to the story of my mother in-law which shared the same story line as mine.

4 comments:

  1. nape x letak pic kek yg hancur lebur tu?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe x sempat, saridah dah makan abis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wei!!aku mkn 2 smalllll slices je tau!!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. hehe idah sori. bile la lg nak mkn ramai2. nanti ko turun KL jumpe nana, roger2 aku deh!

    ReplyDelete