Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Roland Garros, Paris 2010

It's in the middle of Roland Garros Championship in Paris now. Oh, how much I missed Roland Garros as much as I missed Paris. The weather, the people, the language, the croissant are the most unforgettable elements of Paris. So, yes, Paris is by far my favourite city of all cities I have visited.

I'm typing while watching the Quarter-final between the best player of all time, Roger Federer and the rising star, Robin Soderling. My support goes to Soderling even though I knew Federer would have no problem to finish the game at least in 4 sets (bear in mind that Soderling had once defeated the King of Clay, Rafael Nadal in last year Roland Garros).

Men's tennis to me is more stable in term of ranking position. It has been a while since we see Roger Federer in the top tier,  Rafael Nadal the number 2, and Novak Djokovic the number 3. Perhaps, guys have more focus and determination as compared to the ladies. I'm not trying to be sexist or something but if you could see women's tennis the ranking position is always changing. You could see Ana Ivanovic in this week top spot and seeing her again in the number 23 two weeks after. Believe me or not, the ladies are suffering from the inconsistency of play. They are more vulnerable to double faults and handful of unforced errors especially while in distress. I totally agree with one of the commentator quoted that tennis is more than physical sport, it's a mental sport.

Oh, my God. I really have to drop this down. You should see this point where at the third set, Federer 5 and Soderling 4, at 40-40 when Soderling managed to put away Federer's return by a lop ball, Federer amazingly managed to get the lop ball and sending it back to Soderling. It's Soderling win at the end but regardless of point this is what tennis is all about. Full with magical Midas touch. I'm blown away. What a show!

So, as this year's Roland Garros is almost reaching its verdict there are loads of casualties seen. Victoria Azarenka's lost in the first round followed with Maria Sharapova defeated by the infamous come back of Justin Henin are all the highlight of the major. Too bad, despite superb performance by Henin, she also headed home early. With Sharapova not in the Quarter-final, it's ashamed there's no darling left in women's tennis. All left with super muscular chicks such as Samantha Stosur, Fracesca Schiavone and Serena Williams. Too bad for me, at least. Sigh!

This year (Roland Garros) I think Nadal will claim his another Grand Slam title. The epic final I presume will be between Nadal and Federer. Women on the other hand, my pick is Serena Williams who will be facing Francesca Schiavone.

Until then, so long Roland Garrros 2010 and I hope I'll be there for next year.
Wimbledon 2010 is coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment